A driver installation may fail for a number of reasons. Users may be running a program in the background that interferes with the installation. If Windows is performing a background Windows Update, a driver installation may also fail. This articles provides step by steps instructions for manually clean installing the driver using the NVIDIA Game Ready Driver/Studio Driver installer.
1. Click here to download the latest NVIDIA Game Ready Driver/NVIDIA Studio Driver for your graphics card from the NVIDIA Driver Downloads page. Choose the Product Type, Product Series, Product, Operating System, Download Type and Language. Next click on the "SEARCH" button.
Please note: All NVIDIA drivers provide full features and application support for top games and creative applications. If you are a gamer who prioritizes day of launch support for the latest games, patches, and DLCs, choose Game Ready Driver (GRD). If you are a content creator who prioritizes stability and quality for creative workflows including video editing, animation, photography, graphic design, and livestreaming, choose Studio Driver (SD).
2. Click the DOWNLOAD button to download the NVIDIA display driver installer. Save the file to your hard drive
3. Before starting the installation process, close any programs which you have open. This includes GPU monitoring utilities (eg. EVGA Precision X, MSI Afterburner, etc) that may be actively using the graphics card (eg. for performance tuning, overclocking, fan control). If you have an aggressive anti-virus/anti-malware program monitoring your PC, you may want to disable live monitoring as well. If these types of applications remain open during driver installation, it may prevent parts of the driver from registering correctly which could affect performance or stability.
4. Right-click over the NVIDIA display driver installer file and select Run as administrator as shown in the screenshot below.
5. If you are prompted by Windows User Account Control, click on Yes.
6. You will be asked to specificy where the temporary driver files will be stored. We recommend using the default path given by clicking on the OK button.
7. Choose which components you would like to install and then select AGREE AND CONTINUE.
8. Next choose Custom (Advanced). Then click NEXT
9. Select Perform clean install and then click on NEXT.
10. Once the installation has finished, reboot your PC to complete the installation.