The ultimate goal of PowerMizer technology is to optimize power use for the longest battery life in a notebook PC while providing the performance necessary for the task at hand. Some office applications like word processors and spreadsheets require less processing than is necessary for an immersive 3D gaming experience or for viewing a crystal clear high definition video. PowerMizer technology will intelligently adapt itself to suit the performance needs of the application.
Intelligent digital watchdogs monitor the power utilization in various parts of the GPU. When a certain processor engine is not in use or is not required to run full bore, these digital watchdogs will turn them down. This is happening at such a speed that the user will not experience a change in performance, but will know that every watt of battery power is being conserved.
- Extends battery life
- Intelligently adapts performance based on a user's needs so it saves power even when the notebook is plugged into the wall
- Runs in the background to provide the best balance of performance and battery life
- Helps the notebook run cooler and quieter under normal operating conditions by dissipating less heat in the GPU
PowerMizer 7.0 Mobile Technology
A cornerstone of the NVIDIA® GeForce® 8M Series of GPUs, PowerMizer 7.0 Mobile Technology delivers numerous mobile power management techniques to manage the power consumption of both the GPU and the entire notebook:
- Adaptive clocking and engine gating ensure the GPU is only consuming as much power as is necessary for the task at hand
- The GeForce 8M Series architecture is significantly more power efficient and utilizes the latest advances in chip process technology to achieve this
- Dedicated HD video processor to playback Blu-ray and HD DVD with the highest quality requiring less use of the CPU and thereby extending battery life
- More circuits using lower voltage rails
- More clocking and voltage scaling steps for finer control
- Support for GDDR3 memory at 1.8V
- NVIDIA SmartDimmer™ technology for intelligent, granular display brightness control for maximum battery life.
- ASLM (Active State Link Management) technology for ultra efficient use of the PCI Express link
- Uncompromised power management support for MXM-based notebooks