What advantages does Tesla 20-series have for GPU Computing?
Tesla 20-series (Fermi-based) products are designed for high performance scientific and technical GPU computing.
They thus have features over and above our consumer GeForce GTX 470 and 480 (Fermi-based) products such as:
- Double precision is 1/2 of single precision for Tesla 20-series, whereas double precision is 1/8th of single precision for GeForce GTX 470/480
- ECC is available only on Tesla and not on GeForce
- Tesla 20-series has 2 DMA Engines (copy engines). GeForce has 1 DMA Engine. This
means that CUDA applications can overlap computation and communication on Tesla using
bi-directional communication over PCI-e.
- Tesla products have larger memory on board (3GB and 6GB) for computing on large data sets.
- Cluster management software is only available and supported on Tesla products
- The TCC (Tesla Compute Cluster) driver for Windows is only available on Tesla
- OEMs offer integrated workstations and servers with Tesla products only
- HPC ISV software is tested, certified, and supported only on Tesla products
- Tesla products are built for reliable long running computing applications and undergo intense stress testing and burn-in.
- Tesla products are manufactured by NVIDIA and come with a 3-year warranty
- Tesla customers receive enterprise support and have higher priority for CUDA bugs and requests for enhancements
- Tesla products have long availability cycles ranging from 18 to 24 months and NVIDIA gives its customers a 6 month EOL notice before discontinuing a Tesla product.